How do I get a passport?

If you want to travel to countries outside Australia you will need a passport. A passport is a little book given to you by a government which has a photo and information about you. You can get an Australian passport if you were born in Australia, or became Australian another way. You need to pay to get a passport.

If you are Australian and 18 years or over, you have the right to get an Australian passport. You don’t need your parents, carers, guardians or anybody else to say it is OK. You can’t be refused a passport just because you have a disability.

If you are under 18, your parents need to say it’s OK before you can get a passport. This includes everybody who the law says is your parent. There are lots of different people that the law might say are your parents. For example your parents might be one or two people whose names are on your birth certificate or adoption certificate. These parents might be a mum and dad, two mums, two dads, one mum or one dad. Sometimes it might include somebody that a judge from the Family Court has said can act as your parent.

You can sometimes get special permission to get a passport, even if your parents don’t all agree. This can happen if a judge or court says yes, or if you can show that one parent can’t say yes (for example, they might not be in your life at all).

You can apply for a passport by:

  • Going to the Australian Passport Office website
  • Going to an Australian Passport Office
  • Filling in a form you get from a Post Office

Getting help with this

Level 14, Casselden Place, 2 Lonsdale Street, Melbourne VIC 3001
Phone:131 232
Email: passports.australia@dfat.gov.au
Website: http://www.passports.gov.au/