How do I get a transport service to pay for lost or damaged disability equipment?

Sometimes your disability equipment might be lost or damaged by a transport service. For example, you might have a wheelchair that is kept with normal bags in a plane, but is broken when you get it back.

If this happens, the law say that the transport service should pay some money for your equipment to be fixed, or pay for new equipment. This is called ‘compensation’.

If you have planned ahead, you should be able to show that the equipment is more damaged now than before the transport service had it. Or if the equipment is lost, you should have a baggage receipt (a little sticker or piece of paper) that shows you had the equipment.

If your equipment is damaged or lost, you need to report it as soon as possible. For example, if you were on a plane, you can report it in the airline before you leave. Make sure you get a copy of your report before you leave. If you can’t report it on the day, report it as soon as possible. Take photos if you can.

You can then contact the transport service to ask for compensation (like money, repairs or new equipment). If they are not helping you, you can contact Consumer Affairs Victoria. They can help you to make a complaint.

You can get extra protection for lost and damaged equipment by buying travel insurance. Some travel insurance might also help pay for costs that come from not having your equipment.

Getting help with this