Can a support worker demand permission from my parents before I see a sex worker?

A sex worker is somebody who you pay to do sexual things with you. A sex worker is sometimes called a ‘prostitute’.

The law in Victoria says that you can have sex with a sex worker if all three of these things are true:

  • You are 18 or older
  • Both the sex worker and you agree to have sex
  • The sex worker has a licence to work as a sex worker

If you are 18 or older (and the sex worker says yes), you don’t need anybody else to say yes before you can see a sex worker. This means a support worker can’t demand that your parents say it is OK for you to see a sex worker.

Your support worker has to keep things that you tell them private. This means that they can’t tell your parents that you went to see a sex worker or asked to see one.

If your support worker is demanding permission from your parents before you can see a sex worker, or tells somebody else that you saw a sex worker, you can contact the Youth Disability Advocacy Service for help and more information. You can also complain to the Disability Services Commissioner.

Getting help with this

Level 2, 180 Flinders Street, Melbourne 3000
Phone:9267 3733
Fax: 9639 1622
Email: ydasadvocate@yacvic.org.au
Website: http://www.ydas.org.au/

Level 30, 570 Bourke Street Melbourne Victoria 3000
Phone:1800 677 342
Fax: (03) 8608 5765
TTY: 1300 726 563
Email: complaints@odsc.vic.gov.au
Website: http://www.odsc.vic.gov.au/