What is the Victorian Equal Opportunity and Human Rights Commission?

What do they do?

The Victorian Equal Opportunity and Human Rights Commission (VEOHRC) takes complaints about discrimination, sexual harassment, and people saying or doing bad things to or about people of a certain race or religion.  They can also investigate where there are a lot of problems in one area, and give advice to improve how things work.

VEORHC looks after discrimination complaints using the Equal Opportunity Act 2010.

Who can complain?

You can complain about something that happened to you.

Someone can complain for you if you are a child, or if your disability makes it difficult for you to complaint for yourself.  You will need to say it’s OK for someone else to complain for you.

You can also complain for group of people including yourself, if you all experienced the same thing, and the other people say it’s OK.

How do they do it?

The VEOHRC tries to use conciliation to deal with complaints.  A person called a conciliator talks with you and the other side together, and tries to find a solution

If a solution is found, VEOHRC might write a ‘settlement agreement’.  This is paperwork that explains the solution and shows that everybody has said yes to it.

What if we can’t agree?

If you can’t agree to a solution, or you don’t want to continue with conciliation, you can take your complaint somewhere else.  You might be able to complain to VCAT.

How much does it cost?

The service is free.

Are there complaints VEOHRC can’t take?

Often VEOHRC can’t take a complaint more than twelve months (one year) after the thing you are complaining about happened.

VEOHRC may decide not to take a complaint if it has already gone to court, or if there is somewhere else that would be better to look after the complaint.

Who do they report to?

VEOHRC reports to Parliament.