What support is there to help me live independently?

There are some government programs that can help you live in independently in your house.

Support workers and house cleaners

Your local council might be able to help you with house cleaning or shopping for a few hours per week, or every second week.

If you need more help at home, you might be able to get an Individual Support Package (ISP) from the Department of Human Services. This is money from the government to help you pay for support workers to help you to do things like get in and out of bed, get dressed, have a shower, cook and shop.

Home Renovation Service

This is program helps you work out what changes you need to make to your home accessible. For example, you might need a shower without steps, wider doorways, sticky floor covers or gates. These are usually changes that you can make to a house you or your family own, but not a rented house.

Department of Human Services Victoria runs this program and they also have Home Renovation Loans if you need to borrow money to pay for these changes.


There are some extra Centrelink payments (other than things like the Disability Support Pension) that you might be able to get to help you live independently. Some examples are:

Getting help with this

55 Johnston Street Fitzroy 3065 Post: PO Box 234 Fitzroy Victoria 3065
Phone:9411 1444
Fax: 9416 0513
Email: admin@tuv.org.au
Website: http://www.tuv.org.au/