What is Rent Assistance, and who can get it?

Video: What is Rent Assistance, and who can get it?
Rent Assistance comes from Centrelink. It can support people who pay rent to live in their home, and get a Centrelink payment. Rent Assistance can help by giving these people some money (called a payment) every two weeks.

If you get the Disability Support Pension and pay rent where you live, you might also be able to get Rent Assistance. But if you pay rent to a state or territory housing authority (also called ‘public housing’), you probably can’t get Rent Assistance. If you own a home, or have a mortgage, you probably can’t get Rent Assistance.

The amount of Rent Assistance you can get depends on things like:

  • What type of home you live in
  • How much rent you pay
  • Whether you have a partner or children
  • Whether you share your home with other people

If you tell Centrelink where you live and the rent you pay, you don’t need to do anything extra to get Rent Assistance. Centrelink will work out if you should get Rent Assistance.

You have rights which should be respected when you are dealing with Centrelink. If you disagree with a decision Centrelink makes about you and Rent Assistance, there are things you can do. There are also things you can do if your have been treated badly by Centrelink. For help and information, you can contact Social Security Rights Victoria or Victoria Legal Aid.

Getting help with this

PO Box 30, Abbotsford, Vic, 3067
Phone: 9481 0355
Email: info@ssrv.org.au
Website: http://www.ssrv.org.au/

Reply Paid 7800, Canberra BC, ACT 2610
Fax: 1300 786 102
Website: http://www.humanservices.gov.au/

350 Queen Street Melbourne Victoria 3000
Phone:(03) 9269 0120
Website: http://www.legalaid.vic.gov.au/