Can I make changes to my rented home and land to meet my disability needs?

The law says that you can make some changes to your rented home to meet your disability needs. These changes are called ‘reasonable alterations’. You need to make sure the changes can be taken away when you move. This means when you move out, the home should be the same as it was before you moved in.

Some examples of changes that might be OK are:

  • A wooden or metal ramp to get over you’re a step at your front door.
  • Making your outside clothesline lower so you can reach it (as long as you can make it higher again when you move out).
  • Changing the type of taps in your bathroom and kitchen.

The law says that you have to pay for these things. You also have to pay to change them back when you move out. Your landlord does not need to pay.

You can’t change your rented home if the changes would change the home or land too much, or if the changes couldn’t be taken away easily. Some examples of changes that you would not OK to make are:

  • Taking down walls to make doorways wide enough to fit a wheelchair through.
  • Taking away the bath and putting in a shower instead.

If your landlord says that you can’t make any changes to your rented house, even though they would be easy to change back, you can contact the Tenants Union of Victoria, Disability Discrimination Legal Service or Victorian Equal Opportunity and Human Rights Commission for information and help.

Getting help with this

Ross House, 2nd Floor, 247 Flinders Lane Melbourne 3000
Phone:9654 8644
Fax: 9639 7422
TTY: 9654 6817
Email: info@ddls.org.au
Website: http://www.communitylaw.org.au/ddls

Level 2, 180 Flinders Street, Melbourne 3000
Phone:9267 3733
Fax: 9639 1622
Email: ydasadvocate@yacvic.org.au
Website: http://www.ydas.org.au/

55 Johnston Street Fitzroy 3065 Post: PO Box 234 Fitzroy Victoria 3065
Phone:9411 1444
Fax: 9416 0513
Email: admin@tuv.org.au
Website: http://www.tuv.org.au/