When do people need special permission to make healthcare choices for me?

If your healthcare choices are made by somebody else, there are some treatments and other things they can’t agree to without a court or tribunal saying it is OK. These things include:

  • Things that stop you from being able to have a baby forever (called ‘sterilisation’)
  • Taking part of your body so it can be put it into somebody else (called ‘transplant’)
  • Ending your pregnancy (called ‘abortion’)

If somebody wants to do one of these things to you, they need permission from a court or tribunal, like the Family Court (if you are under 18) or the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal.

Getting help with this

Level 2, 180 Flinders Street, Melbourne 3000
Phone:9267 3733
Fax: 9639 1622
Email: ydasadvocate@yacvic.org.au
Website: http://www.ydas.org.au/

Level 1 204 Lygon Street Carlton Victoria 3053
Phone:1300 309 337
Fax: 1300 787 510
TTY: 1300 305 612
Website: http://www.publicadvocate.vic.gov.au/

Level 30 570 Bourke Street Melbourne Victoria 3000
Phone:(03) 8601 5200
Fax: (03) 8601 5219
Email: hsc@health.vic.gov.au
Website: http://www.health.vic.gov.au/hsc/