What is the Disability Services Commissioner?

What do they do?

The Disability Services Commissioner (DSC) takes complaints about disability services.

Disability services that are covered include:

  • Services provided directly by the Department of Human Services (DHS)
  • Services provided by registered disability providers
  • Services funded under the Disability Act 2010

How do they do it?

The DSC can use discussion or conciliation to deal with your complaint.  They can also carry out formal investigations if they need to.

What can they do?

The law gives the DSC the power to look into complaints about a wide range of issues.  They can take complaints about disability services and disability plans.

Who do they report to?

The DSC reports directly to the Victorian Parliament.  They provide Parliament with a report once a year.  You can see copies of this report on their website.

How much does it cost?

The service is free.

How am I protected when I make a complaint to the DSC?

It is illegal to treat somebody badly (threaten or harass them) because they made a complaint to the DSC.

Getting help with this

Level 2, 180 Flinders Street, Melbourne 3000
Phone:9267 3733
Fax: 9639 1622
Email: ydasadvocate@yacvic.org.au
Website: http://www.ydas.org.au/

Level 30, 570 Bourke Street Melbourne Victoria 3000
Phone:1800 677 342
Fax: (03) 8608 5765
TTY: 1300 726 563
Email: complaints@odsc.vic.gov.au
Website: http://www.odsc.vic.gov.au/