What if I don’t agree with a decision a case manager has made about me?

Your case manager is there to support you to make decisions.  If they are making decisions that you don’t agree with you have a right to complain.  If you want to complain, you can talk to:

  • The case manager themselves
  • The disability service that is in charge of the case manager
  • The Department of Human Services (DHS)
  • An advocate

If you feel that a case manager is making decisions for you that you are not happy with, you have the right to talk to someone about this.  It is not the case manager’s job to make decisions for you.

Getting help with this

50 Lonsdale Street, Melbourne, VIC 3000
Phone:1300 650 172
Website: http://www.dhs.vic.gov.au/

Level 2, 180 Flinders Street, Melbourne 3000
Phone:9267 3733
Fax: 9639 1622
Email: ydasadvocate@yacvic.org.au
Website: http://www.ydas.org.au/