What are private services and how can I complain about them?

Private services are services that are not managed by the government.  These might include:

  • Therapists such as physiotherapists or speech therapists
  • Personal care workers
  • Equipment companies
  • General services available to the public (like gyms)

You have the right to use these services just like anybody else. But will need to pay for them with your own money. If you get money for disability support from somewhere like an ISP or the TAC, you might get help paying for these services.

It is helpful to ask questions so that you know exactly what you can get and how much it might cost. Some useful questions to ask a private service include:

  • What will it cost?
  • Is there any help I can get to pay (for example from government programs or other arrangements?)
  • Are there any programs to help me access these services?

If you decide to use a service without getting help to pay for it, you should make sure you know how much it will cost.

If you have a problem with a private provider who is not registered Disability Service Provider, you can still complain. Who to complain to depends on the type of service. For example, if your complaint is about a health service, you can complain to the Office of the Health Services Commissioner. If your complaint is about something else, you can contact Consumer Affairs Victoria for help.

Getting help with this

Level 2, 180 Flinders Street, Melbourne 3000
Phone:9267 3733
Fax: 9639 1622
Email: ydasadvocate@yacvic.org.au
Website: http://www.ydas.org.au/

Level 30, 570 Bourke Street Melbourne Victoria 3000
Phone:1800 677 342
Fax: (03) 8608 5765
TTY: 1300 726 563
Email: complaints@odsc.vic.gov.au
Website: http://www.odsc.vic.gov.au/

Level 30 570 Bourke Street Melbourne Victoria 3000
Phone:(03) 8601 5200
Fax: (03) 8601 5219
Email: hsc@health.vic.gov.au
Website: http://www.health.vic.gov.au/hsc/