Can I get disability support while I am with the police or in court?

Video: Can I get disability support while I am with the police or in court?
Each person who deals with the Police has to be treated with dignity and respect. This includes people who the police think did the crime (suspects), people who the crime happened to (victims of crime) or people who have information about the crime (witnesses).  If you have medical or disability needs which mean you need regular food, medication or to move around then you should tell someone as soon as possible.

If you have been asked to give evidence in court, but you need regular breaks to go to the toilet or move, you must tell your lawyer. Then they can organise for you to have what you need.  If you don’t have a lawyer, you should tell the court staff about your needs as long as you can before the date you are going to court.

If you have been kept in a place by the police (called ‘in custody’), the people who work there must try to meet your needs. The police must do things that are really important to your health, like making sure you have your medication.

Each person with a disability has different needs. So you should take the first chance you get to tell the police or courts what you need. This will help to make sure you are treated equally, which is your right.

Getting help with this

350 Queen St, Melbourne, VIC 3000
Phone:9269 0120
Website: http://www.legalaid.vic.gov.au/

Level 2, 180 Flinders Street, Melbourne 3000
Phone:9267 3733
Fax: 9639 1622
Email: ydasadvocate@yacvic.org.au
Website: http://www.ydas.org.au/

19 King Street Melbourne Victoria 3000
Phone:(03) 9611 2412
Fax: (03) 9620 3622
Email: info@youthlaw.asn.au
Website: http://youthlaw.asn.au/