What is Youth Allowance, and who can get it?

Video: What is Youth Allowance, and who can get it?

Youth Allowance comes from Centrelink. It supports young people who are studying full-time, doing an apprenticeship full-time, training or looking for work. It can help by giving these people some money (called a payment) every two weeks.

You might be able to get Youth Allowance if:

  • You are between 16 and 21 years old and looking for full-time work (this means work of at least 38 hours each week)
  • You are between 16 and 21 years old and doing things like training or looking for work (which Centrelink call ‘approved activities’). These things must be the right kind of things, and be accessible for somebody with your disability.
  • You are 18 to 24 years old and studying full-time. You may still be counted as studying full-time even if you do a bit less study because of your disability
  • You are 16 to 24 years old and doing a full-time Australian apprenticeship
  • If you have applied for the Disability Support Pension or the Youth Disability Supplement, you are eligible for youth allowance while your claim is being considered. If you receive youth allowance for this reason you do not have to satisfy the activity test.

You can get Youth Allowance when you turn 15 if you are independent. You can contact Centrelink to find out what they count as ‘independent’.

You can still get Youth Allowance if you can’t work, look for work, study, or do other job-related things for a while (less than two years) because you are sick or injured (hurt). You will need a special Centrelink medical certificate filled out by your doctor every three months.

If you have a parent or parents in your life, Centrelink will look at how much money they earn. The amount you get paid for Youth Allowance might be less if your parent(s) earn lots of money.

You have rights which should be respected when you are dealing with Centrelink. If you disagree with a decision Centrelink makes about you and the Youth Allowance, there are things you can do. There are also things you can do if your have been treated badly by Centrelink. For help and information, you can contact Social Security Rights Victoria, the Youth Disability Advocacy Service or Victoria Legal Aid.


Getting help with this

Level 2, 180 Flinders Street, Melbourne 3000
Phone:9267 3733
Fax: 9639 1622
Email: ydasadvocate@yacvic.org.au
Website: http://www.ydas.org.au/

PO Box 30, Abbotsford, Vic, 3067
Phone: 9481 0355
Email: info@ssrv.org.au
Website: http://www.ssrv.org.au/

Reply Paid 7800, Canberra BC, ACT 2610
Fax: 1300 786 102
Website: http://www.humanservices.gov.au/

350 Queen Street Melbourne Victoria 3000
Phone:(03) 9269 0120
Website: http://www.legalaid.vic.gov.au/