What is the Pensioner Education Supplement, and who can get it?

The Pensioner Education Supplement comes from Centrelink. It can help people with the costs of studying at a university, TAFE, high school or college. It can help by giving these people some money (called a payment) every two weeks.

To get the Pensioner Education Supplement you need to be studying at a school, TAFE, university or college that is on the Australian Government’s list of ‘approved institutions’. You also need to be getting one of the Centrelink payments on the list of approved payments. This list includes the Disability Support Pension.

If you have studied at TAFE or university before, this might mean you can’t get the Pensioner Education Supplement. This depends on what you studied. How much you get from the Pensioner Education Supplement depends on how much you study and what other payments you get from Centrelink.

You have rights which should be respected when you are dealing with Centrelink. If you disagree with a decision Centrelink makes about you and the Pensioner Education Supplement, there are things you can do. There are also things you can do if your have been treated badly by Centrelink. For help and information, you can contact Social Security Rights Victoria or Victoria Legal Aid.


Getting help with this

PO Box 30, Abbotsford, Vic, 3067
Phone: 9481 0355
Email: info@ssrv.org.au
Website: http://www.ssrv.org.au/

Reply Paid 7800, Canberra BC, ACT 2610
Fax: 1300 786 102
Website: http://www.humanservices.gov.au/

350 Queen Street Melbourne Victoria 3000
Phone:(03) 9269 0120
Website: http://www.legalaid.vic.gov.au/