What is Telephone Allowance, and who can get it?

Telephone Allowance comes from Centrelink. It can help people with the costs of having the internet at home and having a phone. To get telephone allowance you need your home phone bills to come with your name on them, or your partner’s name. You also need to be getting a payment from Centrelink that will let you get Telephone Allowance. One example is the Disability Support Pension.

How much Telephone Allowance you might be able to get depends on a few things about you. Centrelink can decide if you should get Phone Allowance or not. They can also decide how much you should get.

You have rights which should be respected when you are dealing with Centrelink. If you disagree with a decision Centrelink makes about you and Telephone Allowance, there are things you can do. There are also things you can do if your have been treated badly by Centrelink. For help and information, you can contact Social Security Rights Victoria or Victoria Legal Aid.

Getting help with this

PO Box 30, Abbotsford, Vic, 3067
Phone: 9481 0355
Email: info@ssrv.org.au
Website: http://www.ssrv.org.au/

Reply Paid 7800, Canberra BC, ACT 2610
Fax: 1300 786 102
Website: http://www.humanservices.gov.au/

350 Queen Street Melbourne Victoria 3000
Phone:(03) 9269 0120
Website: http://www.legalaid.vic.gov.au/