What is the Essential Medical Equipment Payment, and who can get it?

The Essential Medical Equipment Payment comes from Centrelink. It can support people who use equipment that uses electricity at home (for example machines) for their disability. It helps by giving these people a $143 payment each year.

You might be able to get this payment if you:

  • Have a concession card like a Health Care Card or Pensioner Concession Card
  • Can show that the equipment (for example a machine) that you use is needed to manage your disability. For example, a letter from your doctor.

You might also need to show that you help pay for the electricity and gas bills at home. If you think you can get the Essential Medical Equipment Payment, you need to apply online. Somebody can help you with the application if you want. Once you have been given this payment once, you will get it every year unless things in your life change.

You have rights which should be respected when you are dealing with Centrelink. If you disagree with a decision Centrelink makes about you and the Essential Medical Equipment Payment, there are things you can do. There are also things you can do if your have been treated badly by Centrelink. For help and information, you can contact Social Security Rights Victoria.

Getting help with this

PO Box 30, Abbotsford, Vic, 3067
Phone: 9481 0355
Email: info@ssrv.org.au
Website: http://www.ssrv.org.au/

Reply Paid 7800, Canberra BC, ACT 2610
Fax: 1300 786 102
Website: http://www.humanservices.gov.au/